Everyone at GPS has an Office365 account with access to (1) Online Outlook email at mail.gps.edu, (2) OneDrive cloud storage (unlimited space) and OneDrive for Business download, (3) the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote) both online and downloadable to any computer, and (4) Microsoft apps for the iPhone and iPad
After you download and install the OneDrive app (directions below, and directions for Mac here), a OneDrive folder is created on your computer. Anything in this folder will be synced to OneDrive in your Office 365 (Outlook) account. Your files will be safely backed up online (in the cloud), and available on any computer with internet.
Step One: Download OneDrive for Business for Windows
- Click here to download OneDrive for Business.
- This will install a folder in your Documents with unlimited space to backup all your files.
- If a window opens with “Which library do you want to sync?,” leave it open for Step 2.
Step Two: Sync OneDrive to your online OneDrive in Office 365 (Outlook)
- Open Outlook online: mail.gps.edu and login. Click the Windows icon on the top left of the Outlook window, then click on OneDrive. Copy the URL (web address) in the browser window.
- The OneDrive for Business window pictured below should be open after the OneDrive download. If not, there are 2 ways to find it:
- If you do not see this window below, go to your task bar on the lower right and find the blue (not white) OneDrive icon. Right click the icon and choose “Sync a new library.” The window pictured below will open.
- Alternatively, click on the start menu and type OneDrive. Click on the blue icon to get the window below.
- Paste the URL you copied (in Step Two number 1) into the blue box of the window like the one pictured below.
- Click the Sync Now button.
Step Three: Sync OneDrive to Sites in Office 365 (Outlook)
- Repeat the Sync, but this time go back to your Office 365 (Outlook) online, click the Windows icon on the top right of the Outlook window, and click on Sites.
- Under “Sites I Follow,” find the site you want to sync. Click on the name of the Site to open it and copy the URL.
- Go to your task bar on the lower right and find the OneDrive icon. Right click the icon and choose “Sync a new library.”
- Paste the sites’ URL in the blue box and click Sync Now.
- Repeat steps 1-4 to sync additional sites.
Step Four: Find your OneDrive folders
- Open your Documents folder.
- Under Favorites you will see 2 folders: (1) One Drive for Business where you save all the files you want backed up to OneDrive online, and (2) SharePoint.
- In your SharePoint folder will be all the Sites you chose to sync in Step Three, #2 above. In this example, The SharePoint folder contains one site: IT Dept Documents.