Audacity is used to record the speaking section of World Languages AP Exams and is an excellent in-school recorder.
Install Audacity from the GPS Self-Service app
- If you do not have the Self-Service app, click here for installation directions.
- In self-service, click the install button under the Audacity icon.
- If you are not able to install the Self-Service app, please see alternative directions at the bottom of this screen.
Check your headset
- Click the Apple icon (top left), choose System Preferences, click on Sound, click on Input tab, and make sure that your headset is selected as the input device.
- AFTER PLUGGING IN YOUR HEADSET, THEN OPEN AUDACITY. If Audacity was already open, quit Audacity first (Audacity menu > quit or command+Q), then plug in your headset. In Audacity, click the down arrow next to microphone and select your particular headphones/headsets.
- Be sure to test Audacity and make sure the sound is coming from the headset before you start recording.
Check your volume controls
- Be sure your computer volume is turned up
- Click on the Apple icon > System Preferences > Sound
- Click on the Input tab
- Be sure the volume is up and the input level moves as you talk.
- In the Audacity window, click on the red record button.
- Talk or play at a normal volume and watch the Recording Meter. Try to get it around -6 (see green meter example below)
- Adjust the recording volume with the right-hand Recording Volume Slider (by the microphone symbol).
- Record a short test recording by clicking the red circle to record and the gold square to stop. Playback with the green arrow. To erase the recording, click to select it and press the delete key on your keyboard.
- Press the green Play button to start playback.
- Press the blue Pause button once to pause playback, and again to resume.
- To stop, press the gold Stop button.
- You must press Stop if you want to edit the track, for example to cut some audio out of it or run an effect.
- SPACE bar can be used to either play or stop. After stopping, playback resumes from its last starting point
Exporting your audio file
- Record a sample recording.
- Click on the Audacity File menu at the top of your screen
- Click Export Audio
- In the Save As dialog box
- Type a name for your file, including your name. Do not use any symbols in the file name!
- File type = mp3
- Save to your desktop
- Go to your desktop and double-click the saved recording. It will playback in iTunes or with QuickTime player.
- For the AP Exam, you will drag your recording from the desktop into GPS6 > Public > AP French (Spanish, Latin) folder.
Alternative instructions: Install Audacity from gps6>AP Exam 20__.
- When in Finder, on the menu bar, click on Go > Connect to Server
- Type this server address: smb://gps6 and click Connect
- In the list, select the Public volume and click OK.
- Open the AP Exam 20__ folder and drag the entire Audacity for Mac folder to your desktop. This will make a copy of the folder on your desktop.
- Close all windows, then double-click on the Audacity for Mac folder on your desktop.
- Double-click on the Audacity icon and click on Open if it asks if you are sure you want to open this application. You might not get the prompt and Audacity should start.
- Leave the Audacity folder and contents on your desktop!