To insert a background picture quickly, add it as a watermark. If you want more options for adjusting the background picture, insert it as a header instead.
Add a background picture as a custom watermark
This method is fast, but it doesn’t give you many options for formatting the image.
- Click Design > Watermark.
- In the Insert Watermark box, select Picture > Select Picture. Browse to (or search for) the picture you want to use as a watermark, and then click Insert.
- Next to Scale, make sure Auto is selected and Washout is unchecked (unless you want a very faint image), then click OK.
Add a background picture with more formatting options
Inserting a background picture as a header is a bit more involved, but it gives you more options for adjusting the image.
- Click Insert > Header > Edit Header.
- On the Header & Footer tab, click Picture from File.
- Browse to the picture and click Insert.
- On the Picture Format tab, do the following:
- Click Position, and then click the centered option under With Text Wrapping.
- Click Wrap Text > Behind Text.
- Select any other options you want. For example, to give the picture a washed out look so it doesn’t compete with the text, click Color, and under Recolor, click the Washout option:
- On the Header & Footer tab, click Close Header and Footer.