Your Macbook Air or iPad will read a selection to you in your chosen world language. Directions to select the speaker and language for the Mac are below. Click here for directions for the iPad.
How to Setup Text to Speech
- Click on the Apple icon > System Preferences > Dictation & Speech (4th row). See Figure 1 below.
- Click the Text to Speech tab.
- Click the arrow next to System Voice and choose Customize. Scroll down and check the box by a speaker for your language and country (if applicable). Click OK.
- Back in the Text to Speech window, click Play to hear an example by the speaker. Change the speaking rate and click Play again to hear an example.
- Check the box Speak selected text when the key is pressed. The default key combination to hear spoken text is Option + Esc. Choose a different combination by clicking Change Key.
- Quit System Preferences.
How to use text to speech
- Select some text in a document, book, or any application that supports text to speech.
- Press the key combination you chose in #5 above, and the text will be read back to you in your chosen world language!